It is with great sadness that I write to you today to confirm that as of 12pm today, Monday 23rd March 2020 we as a Club have to close our doors. This is due to Scott Morrison’s announcement last night that all licensed venues including Club’s were required to close today to reduce opportunities for social gatherings and the spread of the virus.
This means that all future sailing events and social sailing for this season, presentations dinner, weddings, events and busy bees, have to be canceled for the foreseeable future. The club sailing season has ended as of the 22nd March 2020. Unfortunately, there is no opportunity for a resail of the club championship race due next Sunday. Over the coming weeks, we will be looking at options on when we can hold presentations.
Our office team is still available for any queries and to keep the business running as much as we can. We will provide an update if this changes. Please avoid coming into the office if at all possible. Staff will be available on the phone or via email, please use (email@example.com) as the most checked email address during this time.
We urge all members to come down to the Club in the next day or two and remove any valuable items from your boats as some petty theft has already commenced on site. For those who are cruiser members, we urge you to come and check your boats today as a number of your boats have been targetted overnight with items missing, padlocks cut and toolboxes rifled through. Please report these incidents to the police, the club cannot do it for you.
On Saturday a civic-minded person informed the police that we were holding a gathering of over 100 people, which was a wedding held in front of the club. Although there was less than 500 (the limit for outdoor events) it didn’t deter them from letting the Police know. That sort of thing will be the tip of the iceberg. We are a very open club with hundreds of people walking past daily. If you were thinking of gathering and going for a sail we don’t encourage it. The perception could be that it is a club organised event. If anyone needs clarification on this please get hold of myself or Jacinta.
We request that our members adhere to the following fundamental hygiene principles in their personal lives and whilst visiting your boat at the Club:
- Frequent washing of hands
- Social distancing
- Avoid shaking hands or making any other unnecessary contact with others
- Cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze.
- Sneeze into your elbow or into a disposable tissue. (dispose of the tissue immediately in an appropriate manner)
- If you are feeling unwell, please stay at home. If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing seek medical advice.
- If you suspect you have Covid-19 or have been in close contact with a person with confirmed Covid-19 you should stay at home and contact the Corona Virus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080 and follow the directions provided.
- Prior to bringing any person or guest to the club, please ascertain whether they have undertaken overseas travel, have experienced any adverse symptoms or been in close contact with a person with confirmed Covid-19. Please do not invite them if this is the case.
We will be providing members with updates as required.
Thank you for your co-operation and stay safe.
Commodore Nedlands Yacht Club
Australian Government Department of Health alert web page
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) health alert
As the coronavirus is a pandemic, Nedlands Yacht Club is following recommendations in accordance with official Australian Government coronavirus guidelines.
World Health Organisation Official Advice